What is online video counseling?
Video counseling is an effective, confidential and convenient alternative to face-to-face sessions. It is a way to make video calls with your computer, tablet, or smartphone. There are many options available for such online counseling but the app that we use is Zoom. Please download free Zoom software at zoom.us in order to run zoom on your device. For our sessions, you’ll need internet access, a webcam, and email.
- easy access
- no travel
- the convenience of home or office
- much more effective than a phone call
Who Can Use It
While we always prefer counseling in person, face to face, we understand that you may be unable if you:
- Feel uncomfortable about visiting a counselor’s office or you do not want others to know that you go see a counselor
- Live in a remote place where counseling services are largely inaccessible
- Are very busy and do not have time to travel to counseling services
- Have a physical disability or illness that makes travel challenging or care for someone who does
- Horrible weather
- Infants and preschoolers at home
Online Counseling Tips
The following tips may be useful to make our sessions more effective:
- Please try to create a private space free of distractions and other people’s presence as best as you can during the session times.
- Plan to have your Bible, a note pad and pen handy.
- If you have phones with you or in the room, please turn them off or set in silent mode. Plan against any distractions you think might interrupt our session together.
- Depending on the position of our respective cameras, we may experience difficulty with eye contact. This can be distracting but seek to adjust quickly.
- Please familiarize yourself with the Zoom program and practice using it before our first sessions.
Get Started with Zoom
If you are new to Zoom, follow all the steps on whatever device you will be using:
- Go to the Zoom website on your computer or app on your phone/tablet and sign up for an account. Don’t worry, it’s free! All you need to start is an e-mail address. Setup only takes a couple of minutes.
- If using a computer, you will need a webcam if your computer doesn’t have one built-in, and possibly a headset. If using your phone or tablet, no worries. It has a built-in mic and camera.
Schedule an Appointment
Scheduling an appointment for video counseling is easy:
- Request an appointment by clicking on the “Get Help Today” button below. You will receive an e-mail to create a referral with us. Once you create the referral you will need to fill out the informed consent and personal information form. While filling out the personal information form, make sure to choose the option “Online Video Counseling” on the intake form. Also, be sure to state your reason why you would like online counseling as opposed to in person.
- Upon completion of the forms, we will contact you about available counseling times.
- At the time of the appointment, we will send you an e-mail inviting you to join the session.
- Counseling begins!