When my mind is overwhelmed by anxiety over my children, health, finances or work, what is really happening? Where is my focus? What have I forgotten?
As children of God, we often forget who God is and what He has promised. Only when we see a BIG God will our heart have rest and peace even when we don’t understand our situation. Here is what I forget in the middle of my anxieties:
- I forget God is Sovereign, good and wise and knows all about what is causing me anxiety. Matthew 6:25-34
- I forget God is up to something and has allowed this for my good and His glory. Genesis 50:20
- I forget He has a goal in my trials and uses this to make me more like Christ. Romans 8:28-29
- I forget Christ, as a man was tempted in every point as I am – He understands what I am going through right now. Hebrews 4:15-16
- I forget the Lord hears the cries of the righteous and delivers them. Psalms 34:15, 17
- I forget He never leaves me or forsakes me. Hebrews 13:5
- I forget He is my strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalms 46:1
- I forget how much God loves me and proved it by sending His Son to die for my sins. John 3:16
- I forget God has given me everything I need for life and godliness. 2 Peter 1:3-4
- I forget God has invited me to give Him all my cares, because He cares for me I Peter 5:7.
During the fall of Jerusalem, Jeremiah made the choice to “call to mind, and therefore I have hope. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every; morning. Great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:21-25
I must choose to stop focusing on my problems and fix my eyes on Jesus. Psalm 94:19 says, “When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.”
- What is your view of God, is He small like you or The LORD of the universe?
- What will you plan to change when anxiety enters your mind?
- What will please God in this situation?